Monday, November 25, 2013

Kaddu (Pumpkin) Ki Sabji

Kaddu ki Sabji
 I remember my mother cooking this sabji for us and I would love to eat it with plain paratha. I like the sweet and savoury flavour of this dish. The bengali spice paanch phoran gives it an amazing flavour. When I moved to Dubai after my wedding I made sure to carry paanch phoran in my luggage  Let me go ahead with the recipe now.
Ingredients:
550 gms kaddu/pumpkin- seeds removed, skin peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup  parboiled black channa (black chickpea), soak the channa overnight and then parboil it
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder (I have made this powder at home by grinding equal quantity of coriander seeds and cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp white granulated sugar, adjust to taste (I have added 2 tsp sugar)
2 red dry chillies
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paanch phoran ( a type of bengali spice)
Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
1 tbsp oil
Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, red dry chillies and paanch phoran. When the cumin in paanch phoran starts crackling add the pumpkin, channa and turmeric. Give it a stir to mix the pumpkin with other spices.
Cover and cook on low heat until the pumpkin is soft and mushy.
Now add salt, sugar, coriander-cumin powder and stir. Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes on medium heat or until all the water has evaporated. I like to mash the pumpkin in this sabji as you can see in the picture.
Switch off the flame and add coriander leaves. Mix again. 
Serve it hot with chapati or paratha.
Tips!!
If you like sour and sweet flavour then add 1/4 tsp of mango powder/amchoor to the sabji.
Kaddu ki sabji

2 comments:


  1. Your blog is very informative and gracefully. making kaddu recipe so simple and looks so delicipous. your guideline is very good.Thank you. thankyou for shearing this information with us!chowringhee satyaniketan

    ReplyDelete

  2. I found really intresting stuff here..Thank you
    Actual day photographer

    ReplyDelete

Please write your suggestions and feedback here.